Monday, March 5, 2012

Step, Step, Steppin' On

Ok, so remember how I’ve been injured for like the past, oh say, forever and a day? Yes, I realize that it’s really been more like four months, but it’s felt like FOREVER. A very looooong and torturous forever. And as we all know, I don’t do very well with being injured because I’m stubborn and just kind of want to do what I want to do, and I don’t take too kindly to someone, namely my doctor, telling me that I can’t. Also, I’m sure that you’ve all read my Splinted posts and heard all of my whining about not being able to run, but guess what. I CAN RUN NOW!!! No, this isn’t some crazy wishful thinking dream thing this is FOR REAL. I CAN RUN! And I’m EXCITED, if you haven’t already figured that out from the excessive amount of caps lock and exclamation points that I am using.

And no lie, I almost thought that I was never going to heal. I felt all sorts of dejected and awful about it until I pretty much had to start doing something else in order to take my mind off of it. So I threw some Zumba and yoga up in my life, and I think those have contributed to my being able to run again. They definitely contributed to cardiovascular strength and actual strength building. So that’s one good thing that has come out of my injury, being forced to try something new and finding that I love it.

But I am so excited to be able to run again, so so so excited! And I kid you not when I say that I started crying when I started running, and it wasn’t from pain y’all; it was from sheer gratitude and amazement and all sorts of other things that I’m not really sure how to put into words right now. All I know is that those were happiness tears, and they were AWESOME. Though for future reference I don’t plan on nor recommend running and crying because it makes it a little difficult to see and that can be dangerous and lead to another injury. Can you imagine how angry I would be if I reinjured myself right now? Very very very.

So I’m back to running, and I’m gonna be taking it very very slowly. Because well, as some wise person once said, “every journey starts with a single step.” Even if that step isn’t as fast or as long or as strong as it used to be, it’s still a step. And by george, I plan on taking many more steps, running steps that is, in the future :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment