Friday, December 23, 2011

The Art of Trying New Things

So in light of the new year, which I know is over a week away, I've made a resolution. I've made the resolution to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things. Lots of new things...not just one type of new thing. I'll probably goalize it because making goals is always a good idea, but I'm not going to limit my "new things" thing because that would be completely against the point.

However, I'm not so sure if I want to call it a "resolution." Resolutions are nothing new to me. In fact I've made resolutions ranging from losing weight to not getting into dead-end relationships over the years, and to be brutally honest (the point of this year and kind of this blog) none of them have worked. Not a single freakin' one. Resolutions are all fun and stuff, and you think "heck yeah! this year is my year!," but it's not and never turns out to be "my" year. Interestingly enough though, this IS my year, and I didn't even need the start of the New Year to decide that. I just needed me and my goal for inner peace and a straight up bad-A union with my SELF. Period.

So this year, or rather right now, I want to try new things. I want to jump out of this rigid box of a comfort zone that I've put myself in and experience the world OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. In fact, I guess you could say that I want to go all jack in the box on this year. Because who knows what I'm missing out on?

A perfect example of this is bean burritos. I now LOVE bean burritos, and bean enchiladas, and probably bean tacos if I ever tried them, but up until a few weeks ago, when I decided to go vegetarian, I always claimed that I hated beans, especially the refried kind. Those puppies were NOT for me. After going vegetarian though, beans became a big part of my diet, and to tell the truth I didn't like them a lot at first, but I LOVE them now. They're SOOOOO good.

Here's the thing if I was missing out on something so awesome as bean burritos (which I now make myself by the way :) ) what other awesome things am I missing out on? What other bean burrito-esque things am I not allowing into my life just because they don't fit my idea of the "things" that I like?

So yes, this year IS "my" year, and I'm gonna experience all sorts of burritos from exercise burritos to Zumba class burritos to rock climbing burritos and maybe even hip-hop dancing burritos if I can find a place. Because how do I definitively know that I do not like something unless I try it? But the one thing I do know is that this box NEEDS TO GO.

--Here's a cool quote for ya'll:
At the innermost core of all loneliness is a deep and powerful yearning for union with one's lost self--Brendan Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment